Webinar: How to Design Learning to Go Beyond Simple Digitization of the Traditional Classroom
Presenter: Dr. Stephen Murgatroyd
Go beyond using online teaching and learning platforms to present, distribute materials, offer office hours and collect assignments.
Think about teaching and learning differently.
Go beyond the “quick and easy” solution.
Design a really engaging course which students do well in.
Focus on the five design features to help you achieve the following:
• Authentic and relevant course resources connected to practice.
• Use of multimedia resources to give students different routes to learning.
• Student creation of digital content individually and collaboratively.
• Students’ reflection on what they are learning and how they are learning.
• Your need to explain why the course is designed the way it is – explaining what you expect and how a learner can effectively use the course.
Five Key Takeaways
1. Key design elements to think about when creating a course based on best practice.
2. Getting different learning materials – video, audio, simulation, games, text – into your course.
3. Helping students create content worth sharing.
4. Helping students “own” their learning. Tools to use to help students reflect not only on what they are learning, but how.
5. Staying engaged with students and explain why you are asking them to do what you are asking them to do.