January 20, 2016 – 1:00 pm Eastern — Link: http://talk.ednet.ns.ca/28qj1x2ek22u
Login as Guest — Password: NSVS
- Nova Scotia Virtual School: A Collaborative Model for Online Learning – Sarah Hainsworth
- Join this session to learn how Nova Scotia has developed unique collaborative models that provide all students in the province with access to full course complements. Learn how classroom and online teachers work together in creating a cohesive and flexible learning pathway for students in the province. Bring your ideas to the discussion about how you can implement some of these unique approaches in your own school or program.
- See all webinars listed here: http://new.canelearn.net/webinars/, or scroll down for upcoming events.
- Use #CANeLearn to stream specific items of interest to members. Join the conversation!
- Join CANeLearn – Membership information here http://new.canelearn.net/membership-account/membership/
- Sign up for email copies of our news.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][sp-form formid=12293]
In the news…
- State of the Nation research: call for program information
- If you have not received an invitation to contribute to our collection of information about your program, please email info@CANeLearn.net
- Check out the 2014 publication here http://new.canelearn.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/StateOfTheNation2014.pdf
- Cape Breton University is hosting a Digital Citizenship Tweet Chat at #IDTIPS for the next 13 weeks every Monday from 4-5 pm ATL. The chat is an Open discussion with the larger community of educators, instructional designers and concerned citizens about the role of digital citizenship in schools. All are welcome to attend.
Worth a quick read…
From Contact North | Contact Nord
- The future of OER: Four key elements – commitment, quality/efficacy, unbundling, and language diversity; read more at http://teachonline.ca/trends-directions/focusing-future-open-educational-resources-oer
- Top 10 wish list for online learning in 2016: effectiveness debate ceases, Canada collects better research and data, broadband for all, and mobility increases are just a few; more here http://teachonline.ca/tools-trends/top-10-wish-list-for-online-learning-in-2016
- A new pedagogy with online learning – new demands, expectations and technologies puts online in front; more here http://teachonline.ca/tools-trends/how-teach-online-student-success/new-pedagogy-emerging-and-online-learning-key-contributing-factor
From GlobalED Network
- The second annual Student Technology Conference, a free one-day online event bringing together students, educators and innovators from around the world, will be held Saturday, January 30 from 9 AM to 9 PM EST.
- The conference, by students in grades 6-12 as well as colleges and universities, and open to all, is committed to:
- Fostering a better understanding of how students use technology in education and to engage students, teachers and administrators in a conversation about technology.
- Assisting teachers and administrators in understanding how students use technology both in and out of the classroom.
- Strengthening the relationship between students, teachers and administrators about technology in the curriculum.
- More information here http://studenttechnologyconference.com/
From Education Week
- Flood of OER challenges educators creating a “needle in a haystack” problem in finding effective OER; more here http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2016/01/13/flood-of-open-education-resources-challenges-educators.html
- Free software alternatives to Adobe products: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1wm54Y/webitect.net/design/free-software-alternatives-to-substitute-adobe-products/?ref_src=tw
- Learn from Steve! – DottoTech offers free online introductions to digital tools, see more at http://www.dottotech.com/
February 3 – 1:00 pm Eastern
- Blueprinting your Course – Lise Pethyridge, ADLC
- The key to a great course is a great design. At the Alberta Distance Leaning Centre, we have over time developed processes to help teachers build better courses. The blueprint, an involved process around defining outcomes, an assessment plan and a student learning path as a collaborative effort is the first step. Join me as I outline this process and hopefully give you tools to apply to your own course design.
February 17 – 2:00 pm Eastern
- State of the Nation: K12 eLearning in Canada
- In this session Michael Barbour, lead author of this Canadian-based research, will provide a quick overview of research compiled on blended and online learning in Canada. Innovation, new directions and successes will be part of a discussion on how to expand this research to serve educators, schools and programs across Canada. Participants will learn how to use the new website which boasts all the print research compiled into sections and a searchable database.
2016 Digital Learning Conference: Transforming Learning: Innovation and Opportunities in DL and Beyond
- February 18 – 20, 2016; Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, Richmond, BC
- Call for proposals & information here: http://conference.learnnowbc.ca/
Other webinar and PD events, including URL/locations, can be found on our Online Webinars page here or our Google PD Calendar here.
Blended and Online Learning and Teaching (BOLT)