Welcome to September and the start of a new school year for many. The summer is a dim smile in the rear view mirror already!
CANeLearn AGM – Sept. 19 – Online at 11:00 am Eastern
Our September news announces the CANeLearn online AGM with the elections of four directors and a new members-only section on our website. We are looking to add your voice to our news, blog, and Twitter feed and invite you to share your stories with us. As usual, this newsletter also includes updates, links, and items of interest.
Scroll down for more!
2017 BOLTT (Bringing Online Teachers Together) Annual Conference
October 13, Downtown Toronto
- A one-day skill building event
- Limit is 180 – Register now!
BC Teachers’ Federation Super Conference
October 20/21, Vancouver
- 2 days of interactive, inspirational professional learning created by 25 BC teacher specialist associations
- 30 remarkable keynotes on big ideas on subjects to digital literacy
Building Student Engagement in Distance & Blended Learning
October 23 & 24, N. Battleford
- Join leaders, blended & distance educators for an affordable and “engaging” PD opportunity
- Click here for more information
blendED: Alberta’s Blended & Online Symposium
October 25-27, Edmonton
- Full day pre-conference on FNMI
- Register by Sept.30 for early bird!
- Focus on applying flexible learning strategies in various learning spaces
Canada Moodle Moot 2018
February 21-24, Toronto YorkU
- Early Bird Prices end Oct. 15!
- Program details & registration at moodlemoot.ca
BC Digital Learning Symposium
April 19-21, Richmond, BC
- Annual Digital Learning Symposium, brought to you by the BC Partners in Online Learning and the Canadian eLearning Network
- The focus is on flexible learning models, environments and instructional approaches.
- Use #CANeLearn to stream specific items of interest to members. Join the conversation!
- Follow us on Twitter @CANeLearn , “like” us on Facebook, check out video archives & subscribe to our YouTube Channel
- Join CANeLearn – $50 for associate membership – access to member-only content!
CANeLearn AGM – Sept. 19 – Online at 11:00 am Eastern
#openedMOOC begins Oct. 1
- 6-week MOOC from David Wiley & George Siemens
- Find out more via Jenny Mackness
Global Collaboration Day Sep. 21
- September 21 is the third annual Global Collaboration Day
- Online activities for students, educators, & leaders
2017 Horizon Report Released
- NewMedia Consortium and CoSN announced the publication of this year’s Horizon Report
- Click here for a copy!
Ken Spencer Innovation Awards
Avon Maitland’s LearningHUB – wins Premier’s Literacy Award
- LearningHUB, winner of this year’s Council of the Federation Literacy Award, has helped more than 25,000 Ontarians improve literacy and numeracy skills, opening doors to new opportunities
Review Your Experiences
CANeLearn has offered networking events archived on our YouTube channel along with images on our Facebook page and featured past events on blog pages and future events on our calendar. As an organization that is still relatively new, we want to know how we are doing – leave a review of your experiences with CANeLearn.
Worth a look…
2017 CANeLearn Leadership Summit Archives
Check out session presentations, curated documents & video recordings!
More background available here
5 technology trends for the new school year
- Education is reaching a tipping point when it comes to using tech in the classroom
- Five tech trends via ISTE: Coding; Real-time learning feedback; Virtual Reality; Media literacy; and Redefining digital citizenship
- Read more here
Five Key Questions About the State of Online Learning
- Growing or reached a plateau?
- Biggest gains since 2010 are?
- Issues with quality still?
- Where is technology taking online learning?
- One key feature of learning in the future is?
British Library’s albums now on Flickr
Instructional Design Competencies for Online High School Teachers Modifying their own Courses
Extract from page 431 of publication – Click here for download/reference
- Communicate effectively in visual, oral and written form.
- Information presented in learning object is accurate.
- The online teacher knows and understands the appropriate use of technologies to enhance learning.
- Candidates demonstrate ethical behavior within the applicable cultural context during all aspects of their work and with respect for the diversity of learners in each setting.
- The teacher models, guides and encourages legal, ethical, safe and healthy behavior related to technology use.
- The online teacher is able to arrange media and content to help transfer knowledge most effectively in the online environment.
- Content is presented in a logical sequence based on the learning outcomes.
- The teacher plans, designs, and incorporates strategies to encourage active learning, interaction, participation and collaboration in the online environment.
- The online teacher is able to create and modify engaging content and appropriate assessments in an online environment.
- Candidates demonstrate the ability to select and use technological re sources and processes to support student learning and to enhance their pedagogy.
BOLT – Athabasca U – Blended and Online Learning and Teaching
- Are you interested in blended and online learning and teaching? Would you like to explore the latest digital technologies and teaching philosophies for educating 21st century learners?
- BOLT offers K-12 professionals the opportunity to engage in meaningful professional development and to explore opportunities and innovative approaches in flexible, sustainable education.
- Registration is open!
- Check out http://cde.athabascau.ca/bolt/