As winter drags through the end of February and well into March, here is hoping that many of you will be “dipping your toes” in a pool somewhere or “popping in” to see what is going on outside your school/office window during the upcoming Spring Break.
This month we feature spring PD events with upcoming registrations deadlines, as well as new reports and research of interest to digital learning educators.
Again, please forward this news on your own networks using the tools at the bottom.
April 7-9 in Vancouver
Fostering Inquiry: Personal Learning in Digital Environments
Main Program (links to Summit): https://2019dlsymposium.sched.com/
- Registration discount ends March 18 — Member pricing discount continues!
Sunday Pre-Summit — Google, O365, AR/VR, Coding & More…
- Only $95 for hands-on, engaging digital learning – includes opening keynote and social! — A separate event of its own — Join us Sunday only, or for all 3 days!!
Info/Registration at http://new.canelearn.net/symposium19/
DLAC Inaugural Conference: Austin TX
April 1-3: Visit https://www.deelac.com/registration/ to register
Saskatchewan IT Summit
May 6/7 in Saskatoon
May 9-10 in Ottawa
Optional evening keynote address // Full day skill building event
More info at http://www.boltt.ca/ottawa-spring-conference/
CNIE Conference 2019 – Making Waves: Educational Disruptions and Transformations
May 21-24, 2019 | Vancouver, British Columbia
More information here https://cnie2019.arts.ubc.ca/
In the News
CIDER Online Session March 6
- 11:00 am Mountain
- State of the Nation research update
- Michael Barbour & Randy LaBonte
- More info and session link here
A MindShare Learning Moment
- Podcast of a conversation with Michael Barbour, Associate Professor of Instructional Design for the College of Education and Health Sciences at Touro University California.
- Michael has been involved with K-12 online learning in a variety of countries for well over a decade as a researcher, teacher, course designer and administrator.
- Click here to listen…
2019 Open Education Week
- March 4-8 Virtual/Online – Free
- A celebration of the global Open Education Movement designed to raise awareness about the movement and its impact on teaching and learning worldwide, the free and open educational opportunities that exist for everyone, everywhere, right now.
- Find out more here
blendED 2019: Alberta’s Blended & Online Learning Symposium
Video Archive of 2017 Presentations:
Connected reading during the break…
Horizon Report Preview 2019
- Trends, challenges, and important developments in edtech
- HigherEd edition
- Check it out here
Top 3 Models of Blended Learning: Pros and Cons
- Blended Learning is emerging as a dominant instructional strategy for implementation of new curriculum
- Check out this short summary of three general models and their pros and cons
- PDF document here
Universal Design for Learning: Three Aces Up Our IT Sleeves
- By implementing UDL, higher education IT leaders can have a profound, quiet, positive (dare we say, sneaky?) impact on learner persistence, retention, and satisfaction—all while fostering best practices and reducing the number of unplanned urgent IT requests.
- Read more here
Should schools ban spiral notebooks?
- Given the numerous ways students can use their notebooks to derail learning, it’s a wonder that most schools still permit them in class, right? … Hold on a sec…
- Read more here
IT4K12 Conference Highlights
- Recorded presentations from the November ERAC annual conference
- Sit back, relax, and listen to sessions on cybersecurity, VR, the latest tools from Google and Microsoft, and skillsets for future learners
- Archives here
OLTD/MEDL Major Project and Process Papers
- Recent Masters papers on topics related to blended and online learning from Vancouver Island University
- Read more here…
Emergence and Innovation in Digital Learning: Foundations and Applications
- A fascinating and powerful collection of papers exploring the foundations of online technology-enabled learning and the applications of these developments in practice
- Several Canadian authors make contributions
- Free PDF eBook available here
Adventures in Archives
2018 BOLTT (Bringing Online Teachers Together) Conference
Check out links to Padlet’s used to curate all the resources and presentatons: http://www.boltt.ca/toronto-fall-conference/toronto-schedule/
OpenCon2019: K-12 Open Educational Resources PD
Check out recordings from the January OpenCon2019 posted at http://bolt.athabascau.ca/index.php/k12_opencon_2019/